Four people have appeared in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court in connection with the robbery of SABC journalists outside Milpark Hospital, The Star reported on Tuesday.
Alfred Tlougameli, Clement Mncube, Pascal Junior, and Modin Modin appeared on charges of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm and were expected to also face a charge of possession of an unlicensed firearm, according to the report.
The case was stalled as three of the four men required specialised interpreters before the trial could continue.
Police said two of the suspects were positively linked to the robbery while two others were arrested for allegedly buying some of the goods stolen from the SABC team.
Journalist Criselda Lewis was preparing for a live crossing last week after covering the arrival of Zambian President Edgar Lungu at the hospital.
The cameras were rolling and the faces of the muggers were clearly visible.
SABC contributing editor Vuyo Mvoko said later in an SABC interview that one of the men threatened him with a gun when he did not immediately give up his cellphone.
Video footage showing two men accosting Mvoko as he waits to deliver his report in front of the camera went viral on YouTube.
The state would still have to verify addresses. One of the accused had no fixed address, the newspaper reported. SAPA