Police have launched a manhunt for the perpetrators of a shooting incident that left two ANC members dead in Knysna on Thursday evening. The killings come almost 24 hours after Ward 8 councillor and former mayor Aubrey Tsengwa was also shot dead on Wednesday night.
Two ANC members killed on Thursday, is a former Ward 7 Councillor Mandla Matiwane, (47) and Mandla Tyololo (48), the secretary of the local taxi forum.
It is believed the latest incident happened at the home of one of the deceased, near Concordia, where Tsengwa was shot and killed in his car while travelling home.
Three other people were with Tsengwa when he was killed. One of the passengers was wounded and hospitalised.
Saps spokesperson Novela Potelwa says no arrests have been affected yet with SAPS investigators hard at work in search for leads.
“Preliminary reports indicate that the two deceased persons aged 47 and 48 were in a vehicle in Bongani when they came under fire at approximately 21:00 from gunmen who are yet to be identified.The provincial serious violent crimes detective team that had been investigating another shooting incident in the area that had occurred on Wednesday evening involving a councillor in the area, has since been reinforced. Additional SVC detectives are in the area to probe the shooting incidents. The motive for both shootings remains the subject of the police investigation. Police are also probing whether the two shooting are in any way related,” said Potelwa.
The Garden route Municipality Council says they learned learned with shock and deep sadness of the tragic killings of former Councillor Mandla Matiwane and his friend, Mandla Tyololo, on Thursday night.
“These devastating crimes follow just a day after the murder of former Knysna Municipality Executive Mayor Aubrey Tsengwa. Cllr Matiwane was a former GRDM Councillor, inaugurated on 30 September 2020 and serving until 30 October 2021. He will be remembered as a reserved and dignified Councillor, respected by his fellow Councillors and those who had the privilege of working with him. These tragic deaths are devastating losses to everyone who knew them,” said Georlene Wolmarans, GRDM Speaker.
GRDM also urges anyone with information that could assist the investigation to report it to the South African Police Service (SAPS) and not to take matters into their own hands.
“GRDM also extends its deepest and heartfelt condolences to the Matiwane and Tyololo families during this extremely difficult time. May they draw strength and comfort from the memories of their lives, and the lives they touched,” she said.
In an interview with SABC Acting Municipal Manager, Boy Ngubo said some councillors in Knysna and one manager have been taken to places of safety after the killing of three ANC members with 24 hours.
Tyololo has been previously accused of conspiring to kill Former Councillor Victor Molosi in 2018. He was acquitted on all counts in 2020 after serving almost two years trial.
Photo: Knysna Municipality facebook page


