Uncategorized

US settles first Muslim ban lawsuit with campaigners

The US government will allow people barred from entering the country in the early days of President Donald Trump’s travel ban to reapply for visas following a legal settlement with campaigners. Under the terms of the agreement, announced on Thursday, the government must contact all individuals who had been turned

ANC leaders fail to resolve Western Cape infighting

There is still no resolution to the infighting that threatens to cripple the ANC in the Western Cape, despite marathon talks on Monday between the party’s national leadership and the provincial executive. The party’s national working committee, including top-six leaders such as President Jacob Zuma and secretary-general Gwede Mantashe, were

Video recording ruled admissible in Panayiotou murder trial

A video recording in which Christopher Panayiotou allegedly implicated himself in his wife’s murder, was ruled admissible by Judge Dayalin Chetty in the Port Elizabeth High Court on Monday. The trial-within-a-trial dealt with the admissibility of an undercover police sting operation where the businessman allegedly implicated himself in his wife

ANC NEC debate over Zuma’s future continues

A long drawn out battle over President Jacob Zuma’s future is set to continue when the ANC National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting continues on Sunday. Zuma is facing a second motion of no confidence in 6 months. ANC guru policy and former head of government communications Joel Netshitenzhe tabled a motion

22 killed in blast outside Manchester concert

UK police on Tuesday raised the death toll in a blast at an Ariana Grande concert attended by thousands of young fans in Manchester, northern England, to at least 22 people, reiterating that they were treating it a “terrorist incident”. Ian Hopkins, chief constable for Great Manchester, said children were

Warning of new smash and grab hotspot

Motorists traveling in the vicinity of Jakes Gerwel Drive and Voortrekker Road are urged to be extra cautious as authorities have seen a spike in ‘smash and grabs’ in the area.  The increase in the number of incidents at this intersection appears to be directly linked to efforts by authorities

D6WC to take restitution matter to court

The lobby group fighting to return evicted District Six residents back to the area has threatened court action if the restitution process is not adequately addressed.   Despite years of continued discussion around land restitution, thousands of District Six claimants are yet to be remunerated and the building of homes

Italy allowed hundreds of refugees to drown

Italian authorities allowed hundreds of Syrian refugees to drown despite being told their boat was in danger, new audio tapes suggest. Some 268 refugees, including 60 children, drowned in 2013, after their boat capsized while sailing to Italy from Libya. The incident was one of the worst tragedies in the

Jewish organisations demand Spicer resignation over Hitler comments

Prominent Jewish groups demanded the resignation of the White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer after he appeared to engage in an act of Holocaust denial, by suggesting Hitler did not use gas against his own people. “We didn’t use chemical weapons in World War II. You know, you had someone

VOC became the first Muslim radio station in South Africa when a special events license was granted to the station in Ramadan/January 1995. Subsequent temporary broadcast licenses were granted, permitting the station to broadcast for 24 hours.

Donate to our Pledgeline
Listen on Online Radio Box! Voice of the Cape

Listen Live

Western Cape’s No.1 Community Radio Station