From the news desk

Anni Dewani e-mails read in court

Share this article

Emotional e-mails from slain honeymooner Anni Dewani to her husband Shrien were retrieved from her phone in 2011, an investigating officer told the Western Cape High Court on Tuesday.

Captain Paul Hendrikse, the State’s 15th witness, said they recovered her BlackBerry phone and sent it to the United Kingdom in January 2011 to obtain its contents.

Two e-mails from the deceased to her murder-accused husband were found.

Hendrikse said there were no responses to these e-mails, sent around 11am on November 5, 2010.

He read out the e-mails in court.

“I left my home, family and everything to be with you and three days later you say that if you knew marriages were like this, you wouldn’t [have] got married. Seriously, do you want me to leave you?” she said in the first e-mail.

“It’s very mean of you to tell me things you told me just after marriage.

“Then you should have told me this before. I don’t want an insecure man or a man whose feelings doesn’t come naturally that you have to force yourself.”

She demanded that he tell her how he felt about her because she was very hurt and ready to pack her bags and leave him. She warned that she was not joking and that she was not sleeping at night.

A few minutes later, she sent the second e-mail.

“You did say that if you saw in [a] crystal ball how this marriage would be like, then you wouldn’t have got married. That is not mean?” she stated.

She said she was letting his comments go but that he should tell her in future if he felt negatively about their relationship or had something she should know.

“Because we had a Bollywood wedding, it doesn’t mean we are Bollywood actors and just pretend everything is good when it isn’t. It will just end up with us hating each other.”

Dewani is on trial for allegedly plotting with shuttle taxi driver Zola Tongo and others to kill Anni while they were on honeymoon in Cape Town in November 2010.

He has pleaded not guilty to charges including kidnapping, murder, and defeating the ends of justice.

He claims the couple were hijacked as Tongo was driving them through Gugulethu in his minibus on Saturday, November 13. He was released unharmed and Anni was driven away. She was found shot dead in the abandoned minibus in Khayelitsha the next morning.

The State alleges he conspired with others to stage the hijacking for which he paid R15,000.

He maintains that Tongo helped him organise a surprise helicopter trip for Anni for R15,000.

Tongo is serving an 18-year jail term and Mziwamadoda Qwabe a 25-year jail term.

Xolile Mngeni was serving life in jail for firing the shot that killed Anni, but died in prison from a brain tumour on October 18.

Hendrikse said he informed Dewani that certain arrests had been made, including that of Tongo. Dewani had apparently been surprised about his involvement.

Soon after, he hired attorney Billy Gundelfinger to represent him.

Hendrikse said Gundelfinger phoned him numerous times and he directed him to the provincial director of public prosecutions.

When Tongo signed a plea and sentencing agreement on December 5, Hendrikse obtained a warrant of arrest for Dewani.

An extradition application was filed with the UK authorities on December 20. SAPA

Share this article
WhatsApp WhatsApp us
Wait a sec, saving restore vars.